Underarm odor is a common problem that can affect anyone, regardless of their personal hygiene. It’s especially frustrating when it transfers onto your clothes and lingers, even after washing. The good news is that there are several ways by which you can remove underarm odor from your clothes and keep them smelling fresh. From natural remedies like vinegar and baking soda to commercial products like fabric softeners and odor-eliminating detergents, there are many options available for you to choose from. In this article, we will explore some of the most effective and easy-to-use methods for getting rid of underarm odor from clothes. Whether you’re looking for a quick fix or a long-term solution, there is something for everyone. So, say goodbye to embarrassing odors and hello to fresh and clean clothes.
What Are Underarm Odors And What Causes Them?
Underarm odors are unpleasant smells that arise from the armpits. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including bacteria buildup, excessive sweating, and the use of certain antiperspirants and deodorants. The human body has two types of sweat glands: eccrine glands and apocrine glands. Eccrine glands are located throughout the body and secrete a watery and odorless sweat that helps regulate body temperature. On the other hand, apocrine glands are primarily found in the underarm area and groin, and their secretions contain proteins and fatty acids that bacteria feed on, leading to body odor. The bacteria break down these substances, producing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that have a strong, unpleasant odor.
The amount of sweat produced, as well as the presence of bacteria, can vary from person to person, leading to differences in body odor. Certain factors such as hormonal changes, dietary choices, and certain medical conditions can also contribute to increased underarm odor. Additionally, certain materials and fabric blends can trap odor and bacteria, making it difficult to remove them completely, even after washing. It’s important to address underarm odor as soon as it becomes noticeable to prevent it from becoming a persistent problem.
How To Remove Underarm Odor From Clothes: 5 Effective Methods
As it has been mentioned earlier, underarm odor can be a persistent and embarrassing problem. Fortunately, there are several effective methods for removing underarm odor from clothes, and some simple steps you can take to prevent it from happening again in the future. Here are 5 of the most effective method to get underarm odors out of clothes:
Baking Soda To Remove Underarm Odor From Clothes
Baking soda is very effective in removing underarm odor from clothes because it has alkaline properties that neutralize odor-causing acidic substances. When baking soda comes into contact with acidic substances such as sweat, it helps to neutralize the pH levels, thereby removing the odor.
Also, the absorbent properties of baking soda make it a popular choice for removing underarm odor from clothes because it can penetrate deep into the fibers of the fabric, absorbing and removing even stubborn odors. Baking soda is a natural odor absorber, which means it can absorb and trap odors, leaving clothes smelling fresh. Here are the steps to remove underarm odor from clothes using baking soda:
- Pre-treat the affected area – before washing the clothes, mix a paste of baking soda and water. Apply the paste to the underarm area and let it sit for 15 minutes. This will help to remove the odor and prevent it from spreading to the rest of the garment.
- Wash the clothes – place the clothes in the washing machine and add a half cup of baking soda to the washing cycle. This will help to remove any remaining odor and leave your clothes smelling fresh.
- Dry the clothes – after washing the clothes, hang them to air dry. Avoid using a dryer, as high heat can set the odor into the fabric and make it more difficult to remove.
- Repeat as necessary – If the odor is persistent, repeat the above steps until it is removed.
In addition to removing underarm odor, baking soda can also be used to remove other types of odors from clothes such as smoke, food, and sweat. Baking soda is a safe, natural, and effective alternative to harsh chemicals, making it a great choice for those who are looking for a more environmentally friendly solution.
Murphy’s Oil Soap To Remove Underarm Odor From Clothes
Murphy’s Oil Soap is a cleaning product made from a combination of natural oils and soap. It is often used for cleaning wood surfaces, but it can also be used as a laundry detergent. It is effective in removing underarm odors from clothes because its ingredients help to break down and remove oils and other organic compounds that can cause odors. Additionally, its formula can help to neutralize any bacteria that may be present on the clothing, which can also contribute to unpleasant odors.
Here are the steps you should follow when getting rid of underarm odors from your clothes using Murphy’s Oil Soap:
- Start by filling a basin or sink with warm water. The water should be warm enough to help break down and remove the odor-causing bacteria, but not hot enough to damage your clothes.
- Next, add a small amount of Murphy’s Oil Soap to the water. You don’t need to use a lot of soap – a small amount will do the job. Swirl the soap in the water to help it dissolve and create a soapy solution.
- Submerge the garment that has the underarm odor in the soapy water. Let it soak for about 30 minutes to an hour. The soap will help to lift and remove the odor from the fabric.
- After soaking, remove the garment from the water and rinse it thoroughly with clean water. Make sure to remove all the soap residue, as it can trap the odor in the fabric.
- Finally, wash the garment in your washing machine as you normally would, using a freshwater cycle and adding laundry detergent. If the odor is particularly strong, you might want to consider washing the garment twice to ensure that all the odor is removed.
- Hang the garment to dry in a well-ventilated area, or machine dry as desired. Once the garment is dry, it should smell fresh and clean.
Before using this method, it is advisable to check the garment label for any specific care instructions, as some fabrics may not be compatible with Murphy’s Oil Soap.
Mouthwash To Remove Underarm Odor From Clothes
Mouthwash does not only excel in keeping our mouth clean and breath fresh, but it also does a brilliant job of removing underarm odors from clothes. Mouthwash contains antimicrobial agents that can kill odor-causing bacteria on clothes, making it a potential solution for removing underarm odor. The active ingredients in mouthwash, such as alcohol, chlorine dioxide, and cetylpyridinium chloride, work to kill bacteria and fungi that cause odors. Additionally, some mouthwashes also contain menthol or other fragrances that can help mask any remaining odor.
Mouthwash is a convenient and cost-effective solution for removing underarm odor from clothes, and it is worth trying if you are looking for a quick and easy way to freshen up your clothes. Here are the steps to follow when you are using mouthwash to get rid of underarm odor from your clothes:
- Before using mouthwash on a cloth, it is important to test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the fabric to ensure that it will not cause discoloration or damage.
- Place your cloth in the sink with the stench-filled armpits facing you.
- Pretreat the underarm area of the garment with a solution of equal parts mouthwash and water.
- Allow the solution to sit on the fabric for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse the shirt under running water to remove the solution and any discoloration it might have caused.
- Wash the garment as you normally would, using warm water and your usual detergent.
- If the odor is not completely removed after one wash, repeat the process of pretreating with the mouthwash solution and laundering the garment.
It is important to note that not all mouthwashes will work equally well for removing underarm odor, and some may also cause discoloration or damage to certain fabrics. Experiment with different brands to find one that is safe for your clothes and works well for you.
Vinegar To Remove Underarm Odor From Clothes
In addition to being an important cooking ingredient and an excellent cleansing solvent, vinegar is also an effective deodorizer and can be used to remove underarm odors from clothes. This is due to its acidic properties. The acetic acid in vinegar neutralizes the alkaline pH of sweat, which is the main cause of underarm odors. This helps to break down the bacteria that thrive on sweat and cause the unpleasant odor. Additionally, vinegar acts as a natural disinfectant, killing off any remaining bacteria and preventing the growth of new bacteria. The antimicrobial properties of vinegar are also effective in removing other types of bacteria and fungi that can cause odors in clothing.
Another advantage of using vinegar for underarm odor is that it is a natural, non-toxic alternative to harsh chemical-based odor-removing agents. Unlike many commercial products, vinegar is safe to use on all types of fabric and is gentle enough for even the most delicate materials. It also does not contain any synthetic fragrances or dyes that can irritate sensitive skin or leave behind residue. Here are the steps to follow when removing underarm odor from clothes using vinegar:
- Fill a basin or sink with cool water and add 1 cup of white vinegar.
- Soak the affected clothing in the vinegar solution for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the clothing from the vinegar solution and wash it as usual, using your preferred detergent.
- Hang the clothing to air dry or machine dry as usual.
Whether you are trying to remove underarm odor from your clothing or someone else’s, vinegar is a simple and effective solution that is well worth trying.
Soda Ash (Sodium Carbonate) To Remove Underarm Odor From Clothes
This is a little more potent chemical and it is also referred to as “washing soda.” Soda ash is a common alkaline substance used in various industrial and household applications, including as a cleaning agent. It is known to effectively neutralize acids and remove stubborn stains, making it a popular choice for removing underarm odor from clothes. Similar to baking soda, soda ash can remove scents from clothing and mask them.
The alkaline nature of soda ash helps to neutralize the acidic sweat, bacteria, and other odor-causing substances that may cause unpleasant odors in clothing. Additionally, soda ash also helps to dissolve protein-based sweat stains, which are often difficult to remove, making it an excellent option for removing underarm stains and odors from clothes. Here are the steps to follow whenever you are using soda ash to remove underarm odor from your clothes:
- Turn the shirt inside out.
- Measure out a quarter of a cup of soda ash and sprinkle it thickly over the underarms of the shirt.
- Use a clean water bottle to spritz water over the powder to make a paste.
- Use a damp sponge or bristle brush to work the paste into the fabric.
- Let this sit for half about 30 minutes, then rinse it off.
- Wash the shirt in your washing machine, as you normally would.
Before using soda ash, it’s important to check the care label on your clothes to ensure that it’s safe for the material. Avoid using soda ash on delicate fabrics such as silk or wool. Also, be sure to wear gloves when handling soda ash, as it can cause skin irritation.
Getting rid of underarm odor from clothes can be done using various methods, ranging from using vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, or commercial odor eliminators. It’s important to note that preventing the buildup of sweat and bacteria is the key to avoiding underarm odor in the first place. Regular washing, using an antibacterial laundry detergent, and allowing clothes to air out before wearing them again can help keep the odor from forming. Additionally, wearing breathable fabrics, avoiding synthetic materials, and applying antiperspirants can also help prevent underarm odor. By following these tips and using the methods mentioned, you can keep your clothes fresh and free from underarm odor.