Shopping for new clothes is always exciting, but when it comes to removing the security tag, it can be a frustrating experience. Those little tags are put there to prevent theft, but they can often be difficult to remove without damaging the garment. If you have ever struggled with removing a security tag, you know what a headache it can be. The good news is that there are several effective ways to remove the tag without causing any harm to your new clothes. In this article, we will go over some tricks and techniques that you can use to remove those stubborn security tags with ease. From using common household items to specialized tools, there is something for everyone in this comprehensive guide. So, whether you’re looking to save time and money, or just protect your new clothes, these methods will help you get the job done right.
Table of Contents
What Are Security Tags?
Security tags are devices that are attached to products in a retail store to prevent theft. These tags are designed to be removed only by store employees with specialized equipment, making it difficult for thieves to steal the merchandise. There are various types of security tags, including hard tags, soft tags, and ink tags. Hard tags are made of plastic and have a metal pin that is attached to the product. Soft tags are similar in design, but are made of a softer material and can be deactivated using a special device. Ink tags contain a small amount of ink that is released if someone attempts to remove the tag, marking the merchandise and deterring theft.
Security tags are a crucial component of a store’s loss prevention strategy, as they help to reduce the amount of merchandise that is stolen, ultimately protecting the store’s bottom line. Retailers can choose from a range of security tags to suit their needs and budget, and can also opt for systems that automatically deactivate the tags as customers exit the store.
Removing Security Tags From Clothes – 9 Simple DIY Methods
Removing security tags from clothes can be a tricky task, but it is important to do it correctly to avoid damaging the fabric. In this part, we’ll look at a few methods that you can use to get rid of the security tags from your clothes;
Using A Rubber Band Removing Security Tags From Clothes
Removing security tags from clothes can be a challenge, but using a rubber band is a simple and effective solution. Using a rubber band to remove security tags is a quick, easy, and safe solution that can save you time and avoid damaging your clothing. This approach, however, will only be effective with mechanical tags that do not have a magnet. If the tag has a vial or cartridge that is filled with ink, you should proceed with extreme caution. Here’s how to remove a security tag from your clothing using a rubber band:
- Locate the security tag. This is typically located near the label around the neck or waistline of the garment and is often a small, hard plastic device attached to the fabric.
- Find a rubber band that is slightly larger than the security tag. You can use a regular rubber band or a thick, heavy-duty one, depending on the size of the tag.
- Slide the rubber band over the security tag, making sure to cover as much of the tag as possible. The rubber band should be tight against the tag.
- Gently pull the rubber band and the tag away from the garment. You should feel a slight resistance as the rubber band slides over the tag, but it should not be too difficult to remove.
- Repeat the process a few times, pulling the rubber band and the tag in different directions, until the tag comes off.
- Check the garment to make sure that there are no remains of the tag or rubber band. If there are any pieces left, you can gently remove them with your fingers or use a pair of tweezers.
It is important to be careful when removing security tags, as the locking mechanism can be sharp and may cause injury if not handled properly. Additionally, be sure to remove the tag in a way that does not damage the item of clothing. If you’re unsure about removing the security tag yourself, it’s always best to ask a store employee for assistance.
Using A Screw Driver Removing Security Tags From Clothes
If you have the correct kind, a screwdriver makes a fantastic leverage tool. There are primarily two kinds – There is a Phillips head screwdriver with a cross-shaped pointy end and there is a flat-head screwdriver with a wedge-shaped flat end. But to get rid of security tags from clothes, the flat-head screwdriver is the best for the job. Here are the steps you should follow when removing security tags from your clothes with a screwdriver:
- Locate the tag – Security tags are usually attached to the clothing using a pin or a plastic fastener. They are usually found near the neck or waistline of the garment.
- Identify the locking mechanism – There are two types of security tags: hard-locking and soft-locking. Hard-locking tags have a metal locking mechanism that requires a specialized tool to remove, while soft-locking tags have a plastic mechanism that can be easily pried open with a screwdriver.
- Pry open the tag – Hold the screwdriver at a slight angle and insert the sharpened end into the locking mechanism. Apply gentle pressure and twist the screwdriver until the mechanism pops open. If the tag has a plastic fastener, you can use the screwdriver to pry it open.
- Remove the tag – Once the mechanism is open, you can easily remove the tag from the garment. If the tag has a pin, gently pull it out, taking care not to damage the fabric.
- Check for any damage – After removing the tag, inspect the garment for any damage. If the fabric is damaged, you can use a needle and thread to make repairs.
Removing a security tag from clothing using a screwdriver is a simple and effective method. Just be careful not to damage the garment and always use the tool with caution.
Needle Nose Pliers Removing Security Tags From Clothes
A set of pliers can be found in your garden shed or garage. They come in many styles for a variety of tasks, just like screwdrivers. Needle nose pliers are the kind you require for removing security tags. These can fit into small spaces thanks to their long, narrow jaws. They can also be referred to as snipe-nose pliers or long-nose pliers and you can use them to easily remove security tags from your clothes. Here’s how you can do it:
- Locate and cut the tag wire. Using the needle nose plier, carefully cut the wire that holds the tag in place. Make sure not to damage the clothing while cutting the wire.
- Once the wire is cut, the pin holding the tag will be exposed. Use the plier to gently remove the pin from the clothing.
- Now that the pin is removed, the tag should come off easily. However, if it does not, use the plier to gently detach it from the clothing.
- Once the tag is removed, dispose of it properly.
It is important to be cautious while using the needle nose plier to remove the security tag as it can easily damage the clothing if not handled carefully. Additionally, it is always advisable to check the store’s policy on removing security tags before attempting to do so.
Using Two Forks Removing Security Tags From Clothes
You most likely have forks if you don’t have screwdrivers, pliers, or even a rubber band. You can use any fork in your cutlery set. However, they must be made of metal. Forks made of plastic will break. With a little bit of creativity, you can easily remove the tags with two forks. Here’s how to do it:
- Find two forks with wide tines. The wider the tines, the better they will work to remove the tag.
- Hold one fork in each hand, facing each other. Place the security tag between the tines of the forks and squeeze the forks together.
- Push the forks towards each other, using the tines to grip the tag. Twist the forks in opposite directions, causing the tag to spin.
- Continue twisting the forks until the tag pops off. If the tag is stubborn, you may need to adjust the angle of the forks or apply more pressure.
- Once the tag is removed, check the clothing for any damage. If there is a hole left by the tag, you can sew it closed or patch it with a piece of cloth.
By using two forks, you can remove security tags from clothes quickly and easily, without damaging the garment. This method is a simple solution for those unexpected moments when you need to remove a security tag in a pinch.
Using A Very Powerful Magnet Removing Security Tags From Clothes
This method is most suitable for removing magnetic security tags from clothes. The electromagnetic properties of the tag will be disrupted by a powerful magnet, making removal simple. This method is quick, easy, and won’t damage your clothing in any way. Here’s how you can go about it:
- Obtain a powerful magnet – You can find these magnets at hardware stores, or online. Make sure the magnet you choose is strong enough to remove the security tag.
- Position the magnet – Place the magnet directly on the security tag. The magnet should be positioned in such a way that it covers the entire tag.
- Apply pressure – Apply gentle pressure to the magnet, making sure it stays in place on the tag. You should hear a beep or click when the security has been disabled.
- Remove the tag – Once the tag is loose, gently pull it off the clothing. If the tag is still attached to a cable, cut the cable as close to the tag as possible.
- Check for damage – Before wearing the clothing, check it carefully to ensure that the magnet hasn’t caused any damage, such as fraying or pulling the fabric.
By following these steps, you should be able to easily remove security tags from your clothes using a powerful magnet.
Freezing The Security Tag Removing Security Tags From Clothes
This is might seem a little bit odd, but freezing the tag is another effective way of getting rid of security tags from your clothes. It’s a very simple but effective method. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Fill a plastic bag with water and place the part of the cloth with the security tag inside, making sure it is fully submerged.
- Place the bag in the freezer and allow it to freeze for a few hours, or overnight.
- Once the water in the bag has frozen, take it out of the freezer and remove the security tag from the bag.
- Use a pair of pliers to gently twist and pull the tag from the garment. If the tag doesn’t come off easily, you can use a hammer to gently tap it, which should loosen the adhesive.
It’s important to note that while this method has been shown to be effective, it may not work for all security tags, and it could also potentially damage the clothing. So, it’s always best to proceed cautiously.
A Commercial Security Tag Removal Removing Security Tags From Clothes
Commercial security tag removers are specialized tools that are designed to help remove security tags from clothing and other merchandise. They are typically handheld devices that use a powerful magnetic field to deactivate the electronic mechanism that holds the tag in place on the item. To use a commercial security tag remover, follow these steps:
- Position the security tag remover: Hold the security tag remover against the security tag so that the magnetic field can penetrate the tag.
- Activate the security tag remover: Depending on the model, you may need to push a button or flip a switch to activate the magnetic field.
- Remove the security tag: Once the tag has been deactivated, it should release from the clothing. Carefully remove the tag and dispose of it.
Commercial security tag removers are widely available online or at retail stores that sell security systems. They are typically easy to use and can be a quick and effective way to remove security tags from clothing, as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Using Candle And Plier Removing Security Tags From Clothes
We’ve discussed how to remove a security tag by freezing it. Now let’s take a look to remove the tag by heating it up. For this method, you only need a candle or a lighter, and a screwdriver. Here are the steps to follow:
- Start by lighting a candle and holding the domed part of the security tag close to the flame for about 30 seconds. This will heat up the glue that holds the tag in place and make it easier to remove.
- Once the tag is warm, use the pliers to gently squeeze the sides of the tag and wiggle it back and forth until it pops off.
- If the tag is still securely attached, you can apply heat again and try removing it with the pliers.
This method is not recommended for use in stores and should only be used on items you have already purchased and wish to remove the tag from.
Hitting The Tag With Brute Force Removing Security Tags From Clothes
You may try hitting the tag after all else has failed and you are at your wits’ end. This is not a choice for the timid. An ink-stained clothing could result from accidentally striking the ink vial of an ink tag. Here is how you can do it with reduced risk of damage to your clothes:
- Release the tag by pulling it away from the clothing repeatedly. You want to loosen the pin so that it becomes moveable. Be patient at this point. All you need to do is to pull the pin back and forth.
- Find a nail with a large flat head. The nail must be longer than the tag and the head should be around the size of a penny.
- Place the part of your cloth with the tag on a hard platform/surface.
- Put the nail over the edge of the tag and strike it with a hammer. The tag should split in half as a result of this action and, now, it can be removed totally with a plier.
Removing security tags from clothes can be accomplished in several ways, but it’s important to note that removing security tags without payment or the retailer’s permission is considered theft and illegal. It is recommended to purchase items without tags or return the item to the store for proper removal.